Momenta |

The life of Things

An international contemporary art biennale devoted to the image 

Since more than thirty years: an exceptional rendezvous in Montréal’s most important museums, galleries and artist-run centres. 

Based in Montréal, the biennale has taken place every two years since 1989. Its activities include exhibitions, public events, educational programs, artistic and social collaborations, and more. 

From September 5 to October 13, 2019, the 16th edition of the biennale presents 39 artists around the theme The Life of Things, curated by María Wills Londoño in collaboration with Audrey Genois and Maude Johnson.

Download the full program

*Admission fees apply for exhibitions at the Montréal Museum of Fine Arts, the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal and at Musée d’art de Joliette.

39 Artists
20 Countries
13 Exhibitions
12 Venues + Public Space of Mile End
Free*

Spokesperson’s Statement

“It is with great pleasure that I am involved for the first time as a spokesperson for MOMENTA | Biennale de l’image. I am proud to be associated with an organization that for more than 30 years has been raising public awareness on current issues related to the image in contemporary art. As an artist, I think it is essential to promote emerging practices from Canada and abroad, and to make art accessible to everyone. MOMENTA offers an exciting program of exhibitions and educational activities that fosters reflection and exchanges. Whether or not you are familiar with the world of images, you will discover in this edition of MOMENTA artworks that will surprise you and change your perception of the things that surround us. Let yourself be inspired by The Life of Things!”


Anne-Élisabeth Bossé

Theme MOMENTA 2019 The Life of Things
MOMENTA Creative Workshops and Tours
Events Calendar
© Jérôme Havre + Cauleen Smith + Camille Turner / Elisabeth Belliveau / Bridget Moser / Victoria Sin

Calendar

Upcoming events

McCord Museum Wednesday, Sept 18th10:00 am to 11:30 am Workshop [groups] The Time of Objects Workshop [groups]

For seniors
In collaboration with the Musée McCord
With artist Celia Perrin Sidarous
> Offered on September 18 and October 4 (10 to 11:30 am)
> Duration: 1:30
> Free of charge
> French or English
Book here

This workshop is intended for seniors who wish to take part in an exchange around Celia Perrin Sidarous’s exhibition The Archivist. Sidarous explores the historical charges of objects in a photographic and architectural installation. Prior to the exhibition, she went through the McCord Museum’s collection, focusing on both the objects and their documentation, and selected items that particularly intrigued her. Although museums act as a collective memory and conservation is one of their essential missions, the experience or “inner life” of objects and the sentimental value associated with them are absent from these institutions. This workshop aims to reconcile these two aspects: artefacts as part of cultural heritage and objects as carriers of personal narratives. Participants are invited to share their memories, personal experiences, feelings, and stories. 

Galerie B-312 Wednesday, Sept 18th5:00 pm to 6:30 pm Workshop [individuals] Sibling Spells Workshop [individuals]

*For 2-spirit, lesbian, gay bisexual, trans, intersex, queer, and questioning youths aged 14–24
Offered by artist and educator Jamie Ross
> Offered on September 18 (5 to 6:30 pm)
> Duration: 1:30
> Free of charge
> Bilingual
Book here

The workshop is presented in connection with the exhibition Living Entities by artists Maggie Groat and Jamie Ross. This activity, revolving around Jamie Ross’s work, aims to familiarize participants with the handling and virtues of medicinal plants while offering a chance for exchange. After giving a presentation on his life experience and on the history of alternative queer communities in North America, Ross invites participants to discuss their own personal experiences in a safe and welcoming space. They then have the opportunity to make herbal teas and take part in a tasting session. Ross will provide the plants, harvested locally and from his organic garden. Bring nothing but your curiosity and sensitivity!

McCord Museum Wednesday, Sept 18th5:30 pm Discussion Guided tour of Celia Perrin Sidarous’s exhibition by the artist Discussion
Occurrence Thursday, Sept 19th5:30 pm to 7:00 pm Workshop [individuals] Topographies of Cultures Workshop [individuals]

For youths and adults
Offered by artist Raphaëlle de Groot, in collaboration with Exeko and Jani Bellefleur-Kaltush
> Offered on September 19 (5:30 to 7:00 pm) and September 28 (2 to 3:30 pm)
> Duration: 1:30
> Free of charge
> French and English with interventions in Innu
> No booking required

The workshop invites participants from all walks of life to converse about objects and testimonials in Innu and in French collected by Raphaëlle de Groot during her immersive experience in the Mingan Archipelago. De Groot works from notions of sharing and collaboration with different communities in order to produce narratives. The activity will introduce participants to the material culture of the North Shore of Québec. Like a metaphorical archipelago, the group of participants will have the opportunity to create a collective assemblage using objects collected in this region. The activity will echo the approach of de Groot, who alternates among different levels of observation and explores relations between the geographical territory and the human, cultural, emotional, and material worlds that she encounters. The aim of this workshop is to create a space for intercultural dialogue and encounter between Indigenous and non-Indigenous people in a spirit of inclusion and sharing.

Galerie de l’UQAM Saturday, Sept 21st10:30 am to 12:00 pm Workshop [families] Objects as Reflections of Self Workshop [families]

For families (8 to 12 years old)
Supervised by the Brila team, certified practitioners of the Philosophy for Children educational model
> Offered on September 21 (10:30 am to 12 pm) and September 29 (10:30 am to 12 pm)
> Duration: 1:30
> Free of charge
> Bilingual
Book here

This workshop introduces participants to philosophical notions by inviting them to express themselves and develop their thinking in relation to the concepts of identity, self-representation, and sense of belonging. Including moments of reflection, dialogue, and creative exercises, this philorecreational activity stimulates participants’ curiosity about contemporary image practices and encourages them to question their relationship with objects through works of the biennale.

Galerie B-312 Saturday, Sept 21st2:00 pm to 3:30 pm Workshop [individuals] Equal Night: An Equinoctial Plant Harvest Workshop [individuals]

For youths and adults
Offered by artist and educator Jamie Ross
> Offered on September 21 (2 to 3:30 pm)
> Duration: 1:30
> Free of charge
> English
> No booking required

The performative talk is presented in connection with the exhibition Living Entities by artists Maggie Groat and Jamie Ross. This participatory workshop revolves around a fall equinox ritual and aims to familiarize people with the work and influences of Jamie Ross, while being introduced to the virtues of medicinal plants featuring in the exhibited video, Cate Hill. After giving a vocal performance, Ross guides participants in making of herbal teas from dried medicinal plants that he has grown or harvested locally. At the same time, he shares stories related to Cate Hill and a brief history of the Radical Faeries, a pagan movement of queer witches that began in the 1970s. A tasting of homemade cider fermented by Ross within the exhibition is then offered to adults.

Occurrence Saturday, Sept 28th2:00 pm to 3:30 pm Workshop [individuals] Topographies of Cultures Workshop [individuals]

For youths and adults
Offered by artist Raphaëlle de Groot, in collaboration with Exeko and Jani Bellefleur-Kaltush
> Offered on September 19 (5:30 to 7:00 pm) and September 28 (2 to 3:30 pm)
> Duration: 1:30
> Free of charge
> French and English with interventions in Innu
> No booking required

The workshop invites participants from all walks of life to converse about objects and testimonials in Innu and in French collected by Raphaëlle de Groot during her immersive experience in the Mingan Archipelago. De Groot works from notions of sharing and collaboration with different communities in order to produce narratives. The activity will introduce participants to the material culture of the North Shore of Québec. Like a metaphorical archipelago, the group of participants will have the opportunity to create a collective assemblage using objects collected in this region. The activity will echo the approach of de Groot, who alternates among different levels of observation and explores relations between the geographical territory and the human, cultural, emotional, and material worlds that she encounters. The aim of this workshop is to create a space for intercultural dialogue and encounter between Indigenous and non-Indigenous people in a spirit of inclusion and sharing.

Galerie de l’UQAM Sunday, Sept 29th10:30 am to 12:00 pm Workshop [families] Objects as Reflections of Self Workshop [families]

For families (8 to 12 years old)
Supervised by the Brila team, certified practitioners of the Philosophy for Children educational model
> Offered on September 21 (10:30 am to 12 pm) and September 29 (10:30 am to 12 pm)
> Duration: 1:30
> Free of charge
> Bilingual
Book here

This workshop introduces participants to philosophical notions by inviting them to express themselves and develop their thinking in relation to the concepts of identity, self-representation, and sense of belonging. Including moments of reflection, dialogue, and creative exercises, this philorecreational activity stimulates participants’ curiosity about contemporary image practices and encourages them to question their relationship with objects through works of the biennale.

McCord Museum Friday, Oct 4th10:00 am to 11:30 am Workshop [groups] The Time of Objects Workshop [groups]

For seniors
In collaboration with the Musée McCord
With artist Celia Perrin Sidarous
> Offered on September 18 and October 4 (10 to 11:30 am)
> Duration: 1:30
> Free of charge
> French or English
Book here

This workshop is intended for seniors who wish to take part in an exchange around Celia Perrin Sidarous’s exhibition The Archivist. Sidarous explores the historical charges of objects in a photographic and architectural installation. Prior to the exhibition, she went through the McCord Museum’s collection, focusing on both the objects and their documentation, and selected items that particularly intrigued her. Although museums act as a collective memory and conservation is one of their essential missions, the experience or “inner life” of objects and the sentimental value associated with them are absent from these institutions. This workshop aims to reconcile these two aspects: artefacts as part of cultural heritage and objects as carriers of personal narratives. Participants are invited to share their memories, personal experiences, feelings, and stories. 

Galerie de l’UQAM Sept 16th to Sept 27th Workshop [groups] Objects as Reflections of Self Workshop [groups]

For children 8 to 12 (grades 3 to 6)
Supervised by the Brila team, certified practitioners of the Philosophy for Children educational model.
> Offered from September 16 to September 27
> Duration: 1:30
> Free of charge
> French or English
Book here

This workshop introduces participants to philosophical notions by inviting them to express themselves and develop their thinking in relation to the concepts of identity, self-representation, and sense of belonging. Including moments of reflection, dialogue, and creative exercises, this philorecreational activity stimulates participants’ curiosity about contemporary image practices and encourages them to question their relationship with objects through works of in the biennale.

See the full calendar

We are social #momenta2019
@momentabiennale